Important: This destination may have COVID-19 travel restrictions in place, including specific restrictions for lodging. Check any national, local, and health advisories for this destination before you book.

Skip to main content.
All properties in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
1 room, 2 adults
1201 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19107, United States of America
    8.0
    Very good132 All of our reviews have come from real guests who have stayed at the property.verified guest
    reviews
    • 2.0

Narrow reviews:

132 verified guest reviews

Guest rating

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries

4.0FairCheck-in Mar. 2, 2020
    terrible experience!! we could not enter the building as the receptionist was absent and all calls to Stay Alfred were going on voicemail. we had to wait for 2 hours outside the building and ask a neighbour to let us in.. we would have had to book another hotel as there was nobody answering the helplines at stay alfred and we sent so many emails also which also went unanswered. the apartment was dimly light and no ceiling lights in bedrooms and plug not working in bedroom.. and it was not a nice experience overall
    kaushal3 night business trip
    2.0PoorCheck-in Mar. 7, 2020
    Unacceptable and disgusting property stay away!
    This was the absolute most disgusting place we have EVER stayed at. Every this was dirty! The sheets def weren’t changed so we ended up going to the CVS and buying some bleach and detergent and washed everything. ALL of the towels had a strand of hair in them. The dishwasher hod something gross in the inside bottom. Looked like rubber pieces and a garlic clove. But THE WORST THING was the carpet in the bed rooms. This legit made me sick to my stomach. It was disgusting. So much so that I went to the target and got a pair of slippers to wear around. Location was great...however, there’s construction right across the street and they decided to start jackhammering at 7am. There were sirens all through the night and horns all over the place and The tall buildings make everything echo that much more. We travel with a fan to sleep with and when I turned it on it fell right on my wife’s head. Overall this was the worst stay I have every experienced. Usually stay Alfred is a great property but not this one. Whoever owns that apartment should be ashamed of themselves for letting it get in that condition. Downright unacceptable! Do not stay here!
    Ashontay2 night family trip
    8.0Very goodCheck-in Jan. 24, 2020
    Great location!
    Pros: Great location, instructions, and stay. This hotel is a walk away from everything. The rooms were clean and modern. Plus, it felt like home. Cons: Very noisy area, it is across from a night club, and right off the main streets where emergency vehicles frequent. Plus, there’s major construction going on next door as wells. However, the noise didn’t deter me from giving this place high ratings. I really enjoyed my stay.
    3 night business trip
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Jan. 18, 2020
    This property was amazing. It had the comfort of your very own apartment. Wi-fi was free and everything was provided for you. They even had a kitchen with plenty of cooking utensils for those who don't want to break the bank on take out.
    Amanda2 night trip with friends
    Response by The Review Squad
    Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in the city and would love to host you again.
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Jan. 17, 2020
    FYI - might want to check washer and dryer. Strange sounds and clothes weren’t drying - maybe vent is plugged.
    4 night family trip
    Response by The Review Squad
    Thank you for leaving us a review. We appreciate your business and feedback on how we can improve. We would love a second to host you again in the future.
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Jan. 20, 2020
    Great location
    The location is great. We could walk to anything we needed, restaurants, coffee, shopping, sight seeing. Unfortunately demolition of the building next to us started our first morning and we were woken up at 6am both on Saturday & Sunday. Stay Alfred did warn us of the construction the day of our arrival. The positive was that my 6 yr old was fascinated with it and kept watching through the window. The apartment has lots of natural light and big windows. I would suggest a dresser for one of the bedrooms as we had no drawers to put our clothes in. However there was plenty of closet space to hang things. The kitchen is well equipped and we enjoyed our morning tea at the table. The TV in the living room was great but we couldn't get the one in the bedroom to work. The management and staff of the building was friendly and welcoming. I would definitely stay here again and do recommend it.
    Veronica S.Other trip
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Jan. 17, 2020
    Great location in the city and great views from the apartment!
    Taylor2 night trip with friends
    Response by The Review Squad
    Thank you so much for your review, Taylor. We appreciate you allowing us to host you and look forward to doing so again in the future!
    8.0Very goodCheck-in Dec. 26, 2019
    A few discomforts keep this from perfect score
    First for the discomforts of note. The king bed is just too big for the bedroom it is in; you have to shimmy between the bed and the wall. The chair in the living room looks cool but is not very comfortable at all. The couch is not very comfortable either; the covering is slick and the cushions push apart. (It is a fold out bed.) Our checkin was not great. I found out after I arrived at the building that I should have received an email with an apartment number and door code. The person at the front desk of the building (which is combo regular apartments and daily rentals) told us to call the Stay Alfred Guest Services to get help. I was on hold for 10 minutes before talking to a human. So I called back again and chose the option that indicated I wanted to make a new reservation and got a service rep who then routed me directly to the folks who deal with existing reservations. It took a long time to resolve the issue but we eventually got into our room. The instructions for wifi were not in book, on site or in app. So I had to call Guest Services and be on hold again just to find out the wifi password. On the good side, the kitchen was well stocked with dishware and utensils. Place was very very clean. We were on the 15th floor so the view was awesome at night.
    Brenda4 night trip with friends
    2.0PoorCheck-in Dec. 21, 2019
    Loud AF! Terrible windows.
    Our unit (1201)was so ridiculously loud and could it was unbearable. The company who rents these (Stay Alfred) claims no responsibility for any of the issues we had. Their response was check out early. Poor! I lived in NYC for 15 years and never have I experienced noise like that at night ever. You might as well have slept outside, it was that loud! Never again!
    Chris2 night family trip
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Sep. 22, 2019
    Check in and out was a breeze. The place was so clean. It had a nice little kitchen, dining room, and family room. It was in a great location. Easy walk to the convention center, Chinatown, Reading Terminal, and shopping. Nice scenic walk to other attractions. I will definitely stay here again when I come back to Philadelphia.
    6 night family trip
    2.0PoorCheck-in Sep. 7, 2019
    I liked the overall layout of the apartment. It had a lot of space and everything was fairly new. However the location of the building in at a very busy intersection in Center City. The noise pollution was so terrible over the weekend that nobody slept well. The windows are so thin it sounds like they are open. Great place but horrible location. You will regret staying there.
    Response by The Review Squad
    Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We hope you'll allow us to apologize for the noise issues you faced from the city streets below. We understand how city noise can impact our guest experience and hope you'll give us a second chance to host you again.
    8.0Very goodCheck-in Sep. 10, 2019
    Perfect for extended stays where you want the comfort of your own place. Great for family style accommodation as you have a full apartment 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and full kitchen. Maybe not for the Business traveler who wants the amenities of a hotel. Beware a little noisy.
    3 night business trip
    Response by The Review Squad
    Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in the city, despite the noise you experienced. We hope you'll allow us to host you again in the future!
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Sep. 7, 2019
    INCREDIBLE STAY!
    Beautiful room with a tremendous amount of space and incredible price. There were four of us who stayed in this room and it truly was the perfect size. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms and enough space for the kitchen and living room. There also was a beautiful wrap around balcony that you can peer from through the windows. I'm so happy we chose to stay here! It was a little noisy at night as you are in center city but not noisy enough to keep us awake. Would stay again and recommend to anyone looking for a nice stay in center city at a good price!
    Jennifer1 night trip
    Response by The Review Squad
    Thank you so much, Jennifer. We appreciate you staying with us and would love to host you again in any of our 33 cities nationwide.
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Aug. 12, 2019
    It’s my first time using Stay Alfred, love this property, great location, comparable price with hotels, definitely chose Stay Alfred again for family trips!
    1 night family trip
    Response by - The Stay Alfred Team
    Thank you so much for your review! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
    8.0Very goodCheck-in Aug. 1, 2019
    It was a good stay. There needs to be more instructions on how to get TV channels and movies.
    3 night trip with friends
    Response by - The Stay Alfred Team
    Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We hope you'll allow us to host you agin in the future.
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Jul. 27, 2019
    Beautiful condo
    The condo is absolutely beautiful!!! Check in was alittle bit of a hassle. The only thing I recommend is to get curtains in the bedrooms . We had a late night out and we were woken up at 6 am because it was so bright in there.
    Regina1 night trip with friends
    6.0GoodCheck-in Jul. 20, 2019
    It was extremely loud outside and windows didn’t seem to block any noise. Saturday night bars right outside closing at 2am..... even though we were on the 6th floor, it was like the windows were open. Very unfriendly concierge.
    Response by - The Stay Alfred Team
    Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Stay Alfred. We certainly empathize with the issue regarding the noise you experienced in your room as caused by the city streets below. We've gone ahead and passed this information along to our operations team so we can begin to look for solutions. We hope your stay was otherwise enjoyable and would love to see you back someday.
    2.0PoorCheck-in Jul. 19, 2019
    Stay away
    We were emailed the wrong room information and only found out after trying to enter the occupied room. They have no staff on-site, so you have to call the 1-800 number. The shower handle fell off, the fitness center was under renovation. The worst part was hearing ALL the outside noise, we live in DC so I am used to traffic noise, etc. It literally sounded as if the vehicles were right beside us, instead of us being on the 8th floor.
    Sara2 night family trip
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Jul. 14, 2019
    I would like to have more duvets for property advertised as sleep up to...
    3 night family trip
    Response by - The Stay Alfred Team
    Thank you for your feedback. We've taken your comments and passed them on to our housekeeping staff so we can make the proper improvements. We hope you'll allow us to host you again.
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Jun. 21, 2019
    Great home away from home
    It was very nice. We like staying at Stay Alfred rather than a hotel. Thank you.
    Catherine5 night business trip
    8.0Very goodCheck-in Jun. 7, 2019
    Being able to stay in the absolute heart of Philly was more than worth it! Check-in and out was a breeze as long as you’re tech savvy. The building was beautiful and literally right in downtown making us ‘feel like a local’ for a great experience. The apartment was spacious, but lacked upkeep- major stains on the carpet, a barely functioning dryer, broken shower head and broken floor trim that two of us got cut/scraped by. The living room furniture was uncomfortable- literally painful to sit in the green chairs and the bedrooms had no tables or dressers and the master shower wasn’t a tub and had no shelving. I consider these minor inconveniences because the location was so ideal, but if you plan on sitting and visiting it may have more of an impact.
    3 night trip with friends
    Response by - The Stay Alfred Team
    Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate you giving us a chance to host you in the city and hope that you'll allow us to apologize that your experience was not up to standard. While we're glad you enjoyed your time with us, we're sorry to hear that you experience multiple issues with your stay. Please know we've escalated your comments so we can evaluate the appliances of your travel apartment. We hope you'll give us a second chance to host you in the future.
    6.0GoodCheck-in Jun. 11, 2019
    Adequate
    Plenty of space, sparse furnishings, stained and worn carpets, easy checkin, good layout, comfortable beds, loud street noise.
    John B.Other trip
    6.0GoodCheck-in May 4, 2019
    lacking in services
    Most of the door people were polite but service was limited. I could not get my internet working for almost the entire one week trip even though I had complained about this. No one ever brought down new coffee cups so I didn't get to use the nice looking machine. Room was large, clean and comfortable however.
    Mark5 night business trip
    Response by - The Stay Alfred Team
    Thank you for taking the time to review us, Mark. Please know that we are in the process of solving the issues you mentioned and would love a second chance to host you in the future.
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in May 13, 2019
    Great alternative to convention hotels.
    We were staying in Philly for 1 week for a convention, and this proved to be a great alternative to a standard hotel. The property was clean, well-maintained, and true to the listing description. It is 3 - 4 blocks from the convention center and close to groceries, convenience stores, historic sites, and numerous wonderful restaurants. The concierge staff was friendly and helpful. I would stay there again and would recommend it to my friends.
    Mary K.Other trip
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in May 1, 2019
    a pleasant surprise.
    I didn't know what to expect when I saw the listing for Stay Alfred, but they've got a new customer for sure now. I don't usually need room service or any valet service when I travel, so the product they offer works perfectly for me. If you're looking to save money, and get a HUGE space to live in when travelling, absolutely check out stay Alfred.
    Duran2 night trip
    Response by - The Stay Alfred Team
    Thank you so much for your review, Ashely. We appreciate you allowing us to host you and would love to do so again anytime.
    8.0Very goodCheck-in Apr. 17, 2019
    It is right near all historic sites and shopping district. Very clean and kids friendly.
    1 night family trip
    Response by - The Stay Alfred Team
    Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate you allowing us to host you and look forward to doing so again in the future!
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Apr. 23, 2019
    Philly Center City
    Had a great time. The apartment is well located and clean. Stay Alfred made sure that all instructions were given in time and that everything regarding the apartment was clearly explained. Thank you for everything. Ana
    Ana C.Other trip
    8.0Very goodCheck-in Apr. 10, 2019
    Stay Alfred, downtown Philadelphia.
    The room was sweltering when I entered. I had to figure out how to operate the central AC and it took hours before the temp dropped to a comfort level. On Day 2, I returned to my room and found that my room was not made up, nor the towels changed. I was told there was no housekeeping services! So the litter collected and the towels decorated the floor of the bathroom. I had no idea how to dispose the trash, and there were no extra garbage bags.The light above the washbasin mirror, and another one by the washer would not work. Mild inconvenience. On my last day I requested an extension of my check out time, which was politely denied, stating there was someone checking in the same day. Check out time is 11am and check in 3pm. Even an extension of 1 hour would have helped me with my work, but that is something I cannot complain about. But 4 hours to clean up a room for the next guest? Overall the room, furnishing and utilities were great. Location was a big plus. The front desk staff were very courteous.
    Prasanta3 night business trip
    Response by - The Stay Alfred Team
    Thank you very much for leaving us a review. We differ from a hotel in that we offer our guests short-term lodging accommodations in residential condo and apartment properties that are typically bigger than your average hotel room. And unlike a hotel, we do not provide daily cleaning service. Our units are professionally cleaned after every guest checkout. We apologize if this was not communicated clearly enough. We are very sorry if you were not satisfied with your experience with us and ask that you please allow us another opportunity to provide you with the stay that our guests have grown fond of.
    8.0Very goodCheck-in Apr. 9, 2019
    Great place and location. Very clean and comfortable. Like a home away from home. The only downside was that the AC was not working and the windows were difficult to open and one of people in my party got hit with tons of mosquito bites.
    4 night business trip
    Response by - The Stay Alfred Team
    Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Please know that we've made note of your comments regarding the A/C and have passed them on to our operations team so we can make the proper repairs and improvements. We hope that despite these issues you'll consider giving us a second chance to host you in the future.
    8.0Very goodCheck-in Apr. 10, 2019
    Heart of downtown and really close to the subway. Tourist sites were walkable. Also close to Philadelphia convention Centre for conference. Place was clean but slightly dated. Had cutlery, pots and pans, washer and dryer and dishwasher to use. Of note the windows were very drafty, can hear the air flowing through. May benefit with changing seals to windows to save on cost of AC/heat. Also limited to one long and two short showers at a time due to fact that hot water is from a small hot water tank. Not sure if tankless options available to help with that for future clients. Only two devices allowed to sign on to the WiFi at a time which was a bit of a nuisance. However, with all things considered, good place to stay for families and people wanting to stay outside a hotel.
    3 night family trip
    6.0GoodCheck-in Apr. 3, 2019
    Abandoned at midnight! Where are you?
    Clean, spacious, nice view, well-equipped kitchen. Guests should be informed though that this is not a conventional hotel so getting the kind of 3am service you might expect at a musty little motel out in west Texas is not to be assumed. Getting a response to a need is very tenuous, to put it mildly, especially after 11pm, when the clerk leaves. Television instructions were completely incomprehensible, and there was no one to call (I left a message, which was not returned.) Use of lobby door key required special instructions. Room code was 7158, which did not work because I did not realize that the check mark written down next to it was part of the code. I sat at the desk until after midnight, when another guest clued me in. I was preparing to sleep at the desk all night.
    Thomas3 night trip
    8.0Very goodCheck-in Apr. 5, 2019
    This was a beautiful place to stay! My friends and I stayed in the apartment on the 14th floor and the view was beautiful from up there. Everything is so accessible and close. A couple of outlets were not properly working and so was one of the bathroom lights but besides that, I would come back soon.
    1 night trip with friends
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Mar. 29, 2019
    We were traveling to attend a conference and it was wonderful to each have our own bedroom and bathroom. The beds were very comfortable. We couldn't have asked for a better location - so. much was in walking distance. If we needed transportation, Uber was always within 3 minutes or less away. The area was rather noisy late at night - there were construction projects going on outside our windows and many sirens at night - but I guess that's part of living downtown.
    Martha6 night trip with friends
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Mar. 23, 2019
    Great stay
    Great place, great location, great front door staff - Sabrina, Ashmani and James! Easy walk to Convention Center, City Hall and the Liberty Bell.
    Phyllis Y.Other trip
    8.0Very goodCheck-in Mar. 1, 2019
    Such an easy check in and comfortable stay. The only thing that I would say is that it would be great if the apartment was made a little bit more inviting/cozy with some artwork or decor, as it was very bare.
    2 night romance trip
    8.0Very goodCheck-in Mar. 2, 2019
    Property is clean and in a happenomg part of the city. Everything you want just steps from the property.
    1 night romance trip
    8.0Very goodCheck-in Feb. 11, 2019
    Would recommend. Bring earplugs!
    The place was comfortable. 2 bath, 2 beds. Perfect. Washer dryer excellent. People at front desk SO nice n helpful. ♥️ Just unfortunate it was on an exceedingly noisy corner. Buses, loud yelling people. Glad we brought earplugs! Would recommend. Suggestions: overhead lights by washer/dryer. Also couch not super comfortable...Velcro came apart n pillows slid.
    Judy4 night romance trip
    2.0PoorCheck-in Feb. 7, 2019
    Great location and space in the city. The unit we got was on the top floor and had great city views. Biggest problem was that on the phone I was told there was parking. When I got there, there was not parking and I had to pay for overnight parking which ended up almost the same rate as the unit itself (doubling the cost).
    1 night romance trip
    8.0Very goodCheck-in Feb. 4, 2019
    Most reviews comment on the location's access to tourist sites. We stayed as it is only a block away from Jefferson Hospital where a family member was having surgery. Perfect location only a block away! Great for the price, but would appreciate a few small things like working batteries in TV remote, instructions for use of remotes, and shelves in bathtub/shower areas to hold soap and shampoo. Still an exceptional value with two bedrooms and two baths for the price!
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Jan. 25, 2019
    Unique check in. It felt more like an AirB&N than a hotel.
    2 night trip
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Jan. 25, 2019
    Easy, clean and great location
    This was a great place to stay in the heart of the city. Very clean. Super comfortable. Very easy to check in and out even with no traditional front desk experience. Would highly recommend this location and I can't wait to go stay there again.
    CINNAMON2 night trip with friends
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Jan. 18, 2019
    It was a great stay. Everything was perfect! The front desk was very welcoming and helpful.
    1 night trip with friends
    8.0Very goodCheck-in Jan. 6, 2019
    Would stay here again
    The best things about our apartment were the location and the size of the apartment. It's really spacious and everything around it is walking distance. 5 minutes to Town Hall and 7 minutes to the oldest theater of USA "Walnut Street Theater". The apartment has all possible channels on tv such as Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and many many others. It has washing machine and dryer, nice kitchen with everything you need in there. Just bring your food and you can cook your own dinners. The apartment is 4 minutes walking distance from Reading Terminal which has a big mall with all kinds of food! You will love living near this one. It has enough towels, toilet paper and paper towels. From cons: it has not a singe dresser or anything where you can put small things. Staying there for 2 weeks we wished it had at list one dresser somewhere. Another con is too cold windows. The wind literally blows from them. We stayed in the winter and had to run our heater on 81-82F in order to feel as if it's 72-73. It must be good enough in there during summer. We also had an issue with internet for almost as long as we stayed in there. We kept asking for assistance with it since our second day but only a few days before we left, the technician came and fixed it. Didn't have any issues after that. We also didn't like the bedding. 3-4 layers of different sheets. It would make more sense to have one blanket with a duvet cover. Not enough toiletries. If you are staying for long time you'll want to buy more.
    Angelica12 night family trip
    2.0PoorCheck-in Dec. 30, 2018
    Stay in a hotel
    I specifically picked this place, in spite of the 125 dollar cleaning fee for the 1 night I stayed, because of the washer and dryer. Neither of which worked. Alexa, who was super sweet and as helpful as possible, had me try to get into other apartments in the building, which didn’t work at all. Was up till 4 in the morning trying to dry clothes. So more than half my time in apartment was spent attempting to do a single load of laundry. They did offer 10% off my next stay. That’s right, a whole 10%. I won’t be taking them up on that offer. Stay in a hotel and use a laundry-mat if necessary.
    damion1 night trip with friends
    4.0FairCheck-in Dec. 23, 2018
    Very disappointed
    Hi We have stayed at Stay Alfred in Phila for 4 years. In that time, the units have become run down and less and less clean, culminating in our stay last month. Our first mishap occurred when we arrived and the code to get into our unit didn't work. We called and were placed on hold for longer than 5 minutes before a new code could be dispatched. We had just driven 7 hours in the pouring rain and were eager to get settled. When we entered, the carpets were filthy the furniture dusty. I was shocked to find that there was no dresser in the master suite - which anyone would agree is a basic necessity for an away-from-home stay. When I called to inquire I was told that Stay Alfred does not provide that type of furniture in its units but there was a dresser in the second bedroom. We did receive a 15% refund which was nice, but the impact on our quality of life when we were would have been better. The handle on the shower fell off, the handles on the refrigerator were loose and wobbly, the furniture was the most uncomfortable I have ever experienced.The heat malfunctioned -- it either ran constantly or was freezing. Walls were scuffed and dirty. The louver doors fell off the washer/dryer space. There was one trash bag in the kitchen (for a 6 day stay). Overall it was a very disappointing experience. The strong impression is that the Stay Alfred people don't give a s**t about your experience. Don't think we'll be going back -- but I'm sure they don't care.
    Arlene6 night family trip
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Dec. 21, 2018
    It was nice to have an apartment with two rooms and two bathrooms. The place was quiet and clean. The kitchen had all of the dishes we needed. There were no dish towels or sponges to clean with though. The pans we're ok. We personally prefer not to use scratched and damaged non-stick coated pans. The bath towels were nice and thick. The location was excellent. It was within walking distance to all of the historical places. The pictures of the place are very accurate.
    Beverly5 night family trip
    6.0GoodCheck-in Dec. 28, 2018
    Meh
    Having tons of space was nice but the unit didn’t feel clean and the building is a bit creepy. Not sure I would return.
    Chris2 night trip
    2.0PoorCheck-in Dec. 18, 2018
    Horrible stay
    This property should not be listed on your site. It is an apartment building. My kids stayed in the room and had 30 minutes of paperwork before they could check in and were not given a key to the building and they had to “knock” on the door to get in.
    David1 night family trip
    10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Dec. 12, 2018
    Great Stay Alfred
    This was a great location. It was literally in the heart of Center City Philadelphia not to far from the club scenes. every store that i needed was in reach. I was surprised that this was not just an hotel room but a full apartment with all amenities. i would give this place a 4.5/5
    Wilshawn1 night family trip
    6.0GoodCheck-in Dec. 10, 2018
    Location was central to everything but outside noise was constant - honking etc
    Over good place. Fold out couch was not so hot so if you plan to use it, only plan on one person not two. Can’t beat the location for being near city center.
    hunter H.Other trip
    Response by VrboOwner
    Thank you for leaving us a review. We are happy that you enjoyed the location of the apartment. We are sorry to hear that the pull out couch wasn't as comfortable as it could have been. We hope to have a chance to host you again and give you a true 5 star stay. -Stay Alfred Team
    Sorry, there are no traveller photos for this property.