Important: This destination may have COVID-19 travel restrictions in place, including specific restrictions for lodging. Check any national, local, and health advisories for this destination before you book.

Skip to main content.
All properties in Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
1 room, 2 adults
24-26 Newport Road, Cardiff, Wales, CF24 0DD, United Kingdom
  • Collect stampsYou can collect Hotels.com™ Rewards stamps here
8.2
Very good311 All of our reviews have come from real guests who have stayed at the property.verified guest
reviews

Narrow reviews:

311 verified guest reviews

Guest rating

8.0Very goodCheck-in Dec. 27, 2019
Very happy with room and facilities ,pool was great and breakfast through reception was great deal
3 night family trip
Verified Wotif guest review
6.0GoodCheck-in Aug. 4, 2019
The property was clean and lovely inside. The outside was not clean. Needed a good scrub down. Our main problem was the beds were hard the the pillows we harder still flat and hard pillows, does not make for a good nights sleep.
Response by Stephanie Dudley - Front Office Manager
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel & Spa. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries

8.0Very goodCheck-in Mar. 16, 2020
Good Place
Stayed in this hotel twice and I liked the place
abas3 night business trip
Response by Stephanie Dudley - Front Office Manager
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Cardiff Holland House. I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us! It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with the management team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Mar. 13, 2020
Nice Hotel and is only a 5 minute walk to the shopping centre. Good leisure facilities available at the hotel.
Glyn2 night trip
8.0Very goodCheck-in Mar. 2, 2020
A little tired hotel but good value for money and staff are helpful and welcoming.
1 night business trip
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Feb. 28, 2020
The hotel was within easy walking of the centre There room was clean and tidy - Breakfast was good - would definitely use this hotel and others within their chain again
Jon1 night family trip
6.0GoodCheck-in Feb. 20, 2020
The hotel was clean, and the hotel staff helpful, it was in a good location and the car park was very near the hotel. Although the roadworks and the access to the carpark was a bit confusing. The air conditioning was noisy and intermittent in our room and I have emailed customer services regarding this.
Verified Ebookers guest review
4.0FairCheck-in Feb. 20, 2020
The hotel is situated well in the city and parking was available but at £14 extra. The spa was highly disappointing
Mitch1 night family trip
8.0Very goodCheck-in Feb. 17, 2020
Yehhhhh
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Feb. 2, 2020
Lovely hotel, good food, mostly helpful staff, comfortable and spacious rooms. Good value. Parking is a challenge (like everywhere in Cardiff)
Richard2 night business trip
8.0Very goodCheck-in Jan. 31, 2020
Everyone was helpful, was nice a close to the city centre
Response by Stephanie Dudley - Front Office Manger
6.0GoodCheck-in Jan. 25, 2020
Could have been better.
I had phoned through a few days beforehand requesting a not that this was to be a special weekend for a 40th friendship anniversary. There was no indication of this when we got to our room. Also there was only 1 set of toiletries. In addition to the shortage of toiletries, we were very limited to the tea & coffee available in our room. I did go down to reception and report these issues which were rectified by a member of housekeeping bringing us a bin liner containing more coffee and milk sachets. The breakfast wasn't as slick as it could have been - possibly short of staff? Tables weren't cleared off efficiently as we were shown to a table that had no cups or cutlery. There was a severe lack of dairy-free substitutes and a long queue for the hot breakfast. Gosh! the list goes on. But I can say on the whole we were happy with the location and size of our room. The bathroom was clean and well proportioned. The lifts worked and the pictures reflective of the wonderful city we were staying in.
Martin1 night trip with friends
Response by Stephanie Dudley - Front Office Manager
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Cardiff Holland House. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback. I have noted down the issues you have experienced and I will share your comments with the management team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.
6.0GoodCheck-in Jan. 18, 2020
Average
The first room we were given smelt awful the second we walked in the door. Reception apologised and immediately gave us another room. The room was nice however very compact. We had to call housekeeping for our iron as it was missing and there is nowhere to hang towels in the bathroom
Response by Stephanie Dudley - Front Office Manager
Thank you for your review, Unfortunately your review is anonymous so I am unable to establish which room you stayed in to be able to rectify the issues. But please be rest assured we will take these comments on board.
6.0GoodCheck-in Jan. 5, 2020
Iffy room.
Door to room wouldn’t open First time around so had to go back to reception. Room Was cold for ages. Television didn’t work. Pillows on the bed were all like rocks. There was a small hole in one of the bath towels. Hotel used for its good location. Lady on reception was very pleaseant.
4.0FairCheck-in Dec. 24, 2019
Don't be fooled by the hotel photos
The hotel is in the middle of upgrading there bed mattresses. Unfortunately my 1 of 2 nights was on the 'spring mattress' which is absolutely awful! I reported to reception the following morning and they happily offered me another room with the new mattress. Everything was great with the room except, when I needed to use the shower, there was no hot water. With a reservation at 3pm on Christmas day and only have 1hour 30 to get sorted, it was very much a massive disappointment. Now reception were looking for another room with a new mattress and hot water which they wasn't able to find straight away. They offered me a room to temporarily shower in so I could get to my reservation on time and they offered me a free taxi toy restraint there and back. In the end we did get it sorted however I wouldn't go there for Christmas. There is not much Christmas spirit around the hotel (Christmas music, staff effort) and wouldn't really want to back to this hotel again. We had a Panaramic view room and the windows are in need of cleaning. Very dirty which spoils it and the room are very basic. This is my second and last time I visit this hotel
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Dec. 12, 2019
The Hotel was very clean and a short walk in to the city centre. The bed was comfortable, with manual adjusting air con, which we found very pleasing. The spa facilities were lovely and not over crowded. The only issue we had was parking. The parking at the hotel was so limited we had to park in a car park approximatept a 5 minute walk away. The hotel do give you a voucher to equal the £12 cost that the hotel would have charged in their car park.
Kea1 night romance trip
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Dec. 17, 2019
highly recommended
Did think we could check in at 12.30 but was told it was not until 2pm but were able to leave our cases, Good checkout time and have used this hotel previously and would highly recommend it. Good location and fairly central for shopping.
Linda1 night family trip
8.0Very goodCheck-in Dec. 15, 2019
A enjoyable evening with work colleagues the room was clean and well presented and comfortable the main bar was nice and peaceful which was nice to just sit and talk my only concern was the choice of beer and the prices otherwise a pleasant stay and i would recommend it
Paul1 night trip with friends
4.0FairCheck-in Dec. 9, 2019
The property is outdated and looks like it urgently needs renovations. The heating system is very noisy and never reached the desired temperature despite being on overnight.
8.0Very goodCheck-in Dec. 9, 2019
Only one night stay for business meetings, was good for my short stay.
ROBERT1 night business trip
2.0PoorCheck-in Dec. 6, 2019
Waited over an hour to check in then was given someone else’s room who I assume is also writing a terrible review. Never ever had anything like it, what an absolute embarrassment of a trip.
2.0PoorCheck-in Dec. 6, 2019
Booked a privilege room and it was more like a Premier Inn.
Michael1 night trip
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Nov. 29, 2019
Excellent stay . Only fault was the pounding music at breakfast which we assumed was the gym below us
8.0Very goodCheck-in Nov. 13, 2019
Just a few niggles
We had a nice room, 1116 as an upgrade. The bed was plenty large enough but not the most comfortable sleep ever. The room safe would not work as the batteries were flat, we didn't notice until we were about to go out so did not have time to ask for it to be sorted.There were no coffee sachets in our room so a late night cuppa was out ! On the positive side, the pool was really good and check out and check in was painless.
Mr G1 night trip
4.0FairCheck-in Nov. 8, 2019
We won’t be going back!
Not a good experience. Long queue at check in. We were given a map to the car park. Street names obliterated by blue highlighter. Not asked for credit card even though I booked a table for dinner for us and two (non resident) guests. Ordered drinks at the bar, and asked to charge them to our room. Told the system said “no credit”. Embarrassing to say the least! Dinner was not great although the Head Waiter was lovely. We did feel rushed though and perhaps they could have told us sooner that the kitchen closed at 10pm. So we didn’t have desserts. Air con/heating unit in room so noisy that it was impossible to leave on overnight. Bed very lumpy and uncomfortable. Windows in room don’t open, so airless and unpleasant. Breakfast is a buffet - a personal dislike! Some fresh fruit but looked like somebody had hacked at a melon and an apple with a machete. Sorry Mercure you really need to invest time and care in this hotel.
Ruth2 night trip
8.0Very goodCheck-in Nov. 7, 2019
Comfortable and just what I needed for a long weekend.
6.0GoodCheck-in Nov. 8, 2019
Adequate
Adequate. Lousy breakfast
1 night business trip
4.0FairCheck-in Oct. 24, 2019
Not as enjoyable as a previous stay
Reported a very noisy shower with very little water pressure, was told someone would check it but it wasn’t fixed , room next to lift so no sleep all night 😡 not enough bar staff as service was quite slow
Sarah1 night trip
8.0Very goodCheck-in Oct. 23, 2019
Really enjoyed our stay. Staff were helpful and enjoyed the spa. The room was clean however the air conditioning was very loud.
2 night trip with friends
6.0GoodCheck-in Oct. 5, 2019
Over priced and very average, poor vfm
Utterly useless parking space, forced to use nearby NCP albeit 50% discounted. Room odd shape, nothing special, same as every other big chain city centre hotel. Price was ott though at £190 for a double one night, so not great value at all. Additionally, when we rang in advance about parking no one answered the phone which is extremely poor for a big chain. Unless the location demanded it, or there were no other options then I wouldn't stay again.
Stephen1 night romance trip
8.0Very goodCheck-in Sep. 20, 2019
Britain Tour
Nice room with good views.
Stephen D2 night trip
8.0Very goodCheck-in Sep. 13, 2019
Nice stay
Clean room nice staff Pool area a bit busy but ok
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Sep. 8, 2019
Fantastic hotel, friends wedding was venued there. Stayed overnight, very comfortable, clean and helpful staff
Richard1 night trip
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Aug. 31, 2019
Clean room, spa facilities superb. Great breakfast.
Response by Jana
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Cardiff Holland House. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one. Sincerely, Jana Hanuskova - guest relations
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Aug. 22, 2019
Great stay in and lovely, friendly place.
Excellent service, very happy , very professional and and supportive , not intrusive ( like in many small hotels) staff. Spacious room. Many thanks.
Janusz1 night business trip
Response by Jana Hanuskova
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Aug. 20, 2019
Lovely relaxing stay, great quality hotel, lovely big bed and big room, friendly helpful staff.
2 night romance trip
Response by Jana Hanuskova
8.0Very goodCheck-in Aug. 17, 2019
We had a big room on the 9th floor. Clean and tidy.
8.0Very goodCheck-in Aug. 15, 2019
All good not enough people serving at checking in.the bathroom in the rooms all nice but the door frames needs to be replaced and cupboards very worn out.over all it’s ok.
Wing1 night family trip
Response by Stephanie Dudley - Front Office Manager
Thank you for your rating of your stay with us at Mercure Holland House Hotel and Spa. We look forward to welcoming you back soon
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Aug. 16, 2019
Everything was clean tidy friendly staff breakfast was excellent
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Aug. 7, 2019
The staff Was great. They allowed me to check in early. Additionally the breakfast variety was excellent
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Aug. 3, 2019
Excellent food great service great food and drinks and staff brilliant service
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Aug. 3, 2019
Excellent food great staff great service good food great drinks good service and a nice atmosphere
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Aug. 3, 2019
Excellent good food great staff good drinks good service good everything good gym
6.0GoodCheck-in Aug. 3, 2019
Given a disabled room with no working shower.
Daren1 night trip
10.0ExceptionalCheck-in Jul. 29, 2019
I really liked their gym and swimming pool facilities. Rooms are spacious and beds are very comfortable.
Rebecca1 night business trip
Response by Stephanie Dudley - Front Office Manager
Thank you for your rating and your wonderful comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Cardiff Holland House and Spa We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
8.0Very goodCheck-in Jul. 22, 2019
This hotel was good and I will recommend or book it again
3 night business trip
8.0Very goodCheck-in Jul. 20, 2019
Great location, poor service at breakfast!
The hotel is lovely, in a perfect location. It was clean and modern - the fridge in the room was useful and although it was a little noisy, we were glad of the air conditioning. The breakfast was very nice in itself, however here we felt the service didn’t quite hot the mark. We were seated on a ‘used’ table and had to wait a long time for them to come and wipe down and reset our table. In fact, they seemed to do all of the empty tables before ours. More attention needs to be paid to the breakfast self-service stations. Many things were running out and there didn’t seem to be anyone keeping things tidy - there were things spilt everywhere so it didn’t feel as clean as it could. The hot water wasn’t very hot to have a cup of tea. The quality of the food was good, you just had to get past the poor service first. I would stay here again but I might consider going somewhere else for breakfast- there are plenty of lovely cafes and restaurants in Cardiff!
Kate1 night trip with friends
Response by Stephanie Dudley - Front Office Managewr
Thank you for your wonderful rating of your stay with us at Mercure Holland House Hotel and Spa. We look forward to welcoming you back soon Kind Regards Stephanie Dudley - Front Office Manager
6.0GoodCheck-in Jul. 20, 2019
The TV channels did not work in the evening . And the scrambled eggs tasted of fish .
Response by Stephanie Dudley - Front Office Manager
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Cardiff Holland House. It is always important that we receive feedback. I will share your review with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be an overall excellent one.
8.0Very goodCheck-in Jun. 28, 2019
Great location for the city centre. Clean and spacious room and bathroom
Response by Stephanie Dudley
We very much appreciate your review regarding your stay at the Mercure Cardiff Holland House. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback. I will share your comments with all our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.
8.0Very goodCheck-in Jun. 20, 2019
Disappointed by Hotels.com
Mercure was great but we didn't get the room we expected. On my paperwork from Hotel.com it said separate bedroom - it was just a triple room. Mercure said not their problem - back to Hotels.com Will not use you again!!
Maureen1 night trip with friends
Response by Stephanie Dudley - Front Office Manager
Sorry, there are no traveller photos for this property.